Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:18:36 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> If you are working through a slow X connection, accidentally visiting
> an image file could be a very expensive mistake.  In the past,
> displaying an image that was overtall could really confuse Emacs.
> This has become much better recently, but I don't know how the
> situation is with overwide images.

Emacs can horizontally scroll images wider than the window width.

> Anyway, there are ASCII-based image file formats like ASCII PBM, PGM,
> PPM, PAM and XBM and XPM.  Much more often than not, when I open such
> files with Emacs, I really don't want to see the picture, but the
> source text (to see comments, assignment of colors and palette, ranges
> and so on).  And using find-file-literally (even if we provided it in
> the menus, where it currently isn't) does not cater overly gracefully
> for the line endings in those files.

No big problem when the DOS line endings are displayed after
using find-file-literally.

> I don't know how well auto-compression-mode deals with things like
> missing compression commands.  If it fails gracefully, enabling it by
> default should not do much harm.

With missing compression commands it displays an error message in the
separate window with *jka-compr-error* buffer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/