Re: Non-ASCII in Lucid menus

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII in Lucid menus
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:23:18 -0500

>>> It is incompatible in the sense that settings in .Xresources that
>>> previously
>>> used
>>> ...*menu*font: ...
>>
>>> now must use
>>> ...*menu*fontSet:
>>
>>> for the lucid menus.  This should be mentioned in NEWS.
>>
>> Hmm... good point.  Do you happen to know how I could get the expected
>> behavior that "if `font' is set but `fontSet' isn't, use `font'"?

> Basically you have to set the default to something else than the
> XtDdefaultFont(Set), and then check if either has been changed.

But the default is specified as a string (the name of the default font),
whereas in the code I only have access to mw->menu.font which is
an XFontStruct*.  How can I tell if this XFontStruct* corresponds to the
default or not?

> But better would be to just have one, as Motif has FontList.

You mean I could just use ".font" instead of ".fontSet", ... Hmm ... that's
an idea.  I'll have to change the rest of the code that uses
font->max_bounds.asent and things like that, tho.

BTW, is the HAVE_X_I18N test still necessary?  It'd help if we could just
assume that X_I18N is available.

>>> Also, the default font used for lucid menus will most certainly be
>>> different now.
>> Why?  What can I do about it?
> It is just that the default for font and fontset in Xt differs.

How?  It seems to be helvetica in both cases.

        Stefan