Re: Do you understand this?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Do you understand this?
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:32:56 +0000 (UTC)

           Accept: text/plain;
                   q=0.5, text/html, text/x-dvi;
                   q=0.8, text/x-c

    If sent in an HTTP request for a resource /fred the above Accept
    headers tells the server that the user will ideally accept /fred as an
    HTML document or a text/x-c document.

I do not understand.

Am I right in formatting the statement such that semi-colons have a
higher precedence than commas?

And that a grouping is between semi-colons?

If that is the case, then the above sequency looks to me to favor

  * text/x-c                as the highest priority;

  * text/html, text/x-dvi   both equally as the second priorty; and,

  * text/plain              as the third, lowest priority.

But I do not know anything about this and would like to be told more.

An alternative formatting is that semi-colons precede q settings, and
that if a format lacks a q setting, it has the highest priority.

Thus, the above could be formatted like this

       Accept: text/plain; q=0.5,
               text/html, text/x-dvi; q=0.8,
               text/x-c

and mean the same as