Re: fileio.c "#if 0" block

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: fileio.c "#if 0" block
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 19:20:17 +0200

> From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:50:20 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> sorry, i did not quote the block precisely.  the block begins w/:
>
> #if 0
> /* PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THIS COMMENTED-OUT VERSION!
>
> (and goes on to surround a "DEAFUN" for Fexpand_file_name.)

If that's the code fragment you were referring to, then the
explanation why it is disabled but left in the sources is right there
in the comment, viz:

   This is the old version of expand-file-name, before it was thoroughly
   rewritten for Emacs 10.31.  We leave this version here commented-out,
   because the code is very complex and likely to have subtle bugs.  If
   bugs _are_ found, it might be of interest to look at the old code and
   see what did it do in the relevant situation.

   Don't remove this code: it's true that it will be accessible via CVS,
   but a few years from deletion, people will forget it is there.  */

(I think that "10.31" is a typo: it should be "19.31".)

Given this very clear (IMHO) explanation, I don't understand your
original gripe about it:

> i find it irksome to wrap my head around vms quirks and then turn my
> back on code as i apply the fruits of my learning elsewhere.

Can you explain what you meant by that, now that you know why the old
code was left in the sources, rather than deleted?

> please cc me in reply

Done (although it should be the default of any decent mail software).

> my list subscription is currently fubared.

I'm the list administrator, so if you need help with that, please mail
me privately.