Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:10:39 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>    "Hide/Show" is something more appropriate for things like outline
>    mode, I'd say.  "Appearance" would be a reasonably good name, and the
>    cursor type belongs in there.
>
> A problem is that the Show/Hide menu currently contains 8 options all
> of which _really_ Show/Hide something where "Hide" has to be taken in
> the sense most other applications use that word, even though it is
> strictly speaking not 100% accurate.  All of them are the following form:
>
> Tool-bar
>
> which does not make any sense without the Show/Hide in front of it.

A check-marked "Tool-bar" for an appearing toolbar in an "Appearance"
menu does not sound too absurd to me.

Whereas a checkmarked "Tool-bar" in a "Show/Hide" menu means that the
Tool-bar is shown or hidden.  Which makes decidedly less sense.  Of
course it is either of the two.

Call it nitpicking, but I don't see how the descriptive quality would
suffer under that change.

> I still do not understand why blink-cursor-mode is less important
> than any of the twelve options that are currently at top level, some
> of which seem to _really_ be technical details for advanced users,
> who probably do not use the menu bar anyway.  For instance, "Use
> Directory Name in Buffer Names", which, like many of the other
> twelve, is downright confusing, because it seems to automatically
> apply to all file visiting buffers.

If the current menus are confusing, the solution is not to add more
confusing settings, but to fix the old ones.