Hourglass only for X-windows?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Hourglass only for X-windows?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:57:08 +0100

I am trying to understand the implementation around hourglass cursors. When
I look through eval.c, fns.c, keyboard.c, lread.c and minibuf.c I see in
many places something like:

    #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS
      if (display_hourglass_p)
        cancel_hourglass ();
    #endif

Is this really correct? It looks like displaying an hourglass cursor should
only happen if x windows is available.

Maybe it would be better to remove these ifdefs and require every Emacs
implementation to compile the lines? Does not most systems actually have the
possibility to display hourglass cursors? If they do not could the
implementation not just supply some dummies for the required functions?