Re: Compile failure on IRIX 6.5

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Compile failure on IRIX 6.5
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:37:30 -0500

You must not expect us to intuit where the cause of this bug is.  That
is very hard.  If you want to fix this bug, you will have to debug it.
Nobody else can debug it, unless he can make it fail.

You may as well start by reading lisp.h and learning the format of
Lisp objects, so that you can figure out what each object mean.

    I'm afraid I have no idea what can be considered stack overflow.

Look at the stack pointer; you'll have to learn about the machine's
conventions to see what's a valid stack pointer value.

    (dbx) p Vprint_length
    272150529

What does that number mean as a Lisp Object on your platform?
Is it nil?  Look in Qnil and see what you find.

    > The question is, why is that happening?  The crucial point for
    > finding the Emacs bug is, what Lisp program is trying to print
    > something,

    Does that mean built-in/included Lisp program? as a total beginner,
    I'd think option '-q' has Emacs not to take any initial/external
    file.

The task at hand is to find out what's happening.
Lisp code is being run.  What code, and why?