Re: proofreading man/dired.texi

From: Matt Hodges
Subject: Re: proofreading man/dired.texi
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:29:27 +0000

 > (2) One must hit `C-c C-c' for changes to take effect; this seems a
 > bit heavy-weight -- why not just RET (which seems to be what other
 > systems use)?

I agree that this makes sense if you want to edit one filename at a
time, and then commit this change immediately.  However, if you edit
multiple filenames using, e.g., replace-string, replace-regexp,
string-rectangle (or whatever), then I think it's reasonable to have
something like C-c C-c to commit these changes.

 > (3) Similarly, in analogy to other systems, it might be nice if
 > there was some obvious visual indication that wdired was active and
 > filenames "open for editting" -- e.g., if the filenames looked like
 > a customize-style "input field" (one might even use the same
 > abstract face for both, e.g. define an `input-field' face, and have
 > customize inherit from it).

I think it would be useful to have some visual cue for filenames that
have been changed but not committed.  Even more so if it becomes
possible to commit changes for single filenames (with RET) without
exiting wdired-mode.

Matt