Re: decode-coding-string gone awry?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: decode-coding-string gone awry?
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 05:35:33 -0500

    I'm actually running right now with an Emacs that does signal such errors.
    I've changed the notion of "multibyte/unibyte" string by saying:
    - [same as now] if size_byte < 0, it's UNIBYTE.
    - [same as now] if size_byte > size, it's MULTIBYTE.
    - [changed]     if size_byte == size, it's neither/both (ASCII-only).

That is a far-reaching change.  It would have to be thought about
theoretically, not just tried.