Re: Group leader (WM_HINTS)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Group leader (WM_HINTS)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:36:32 +0100

Before switching  to the CVS version  of Emacs, when  I explicitly set
the name of a frame to "SOMETHING"  then I had that that frame has its
own window id of the group leader in WM_HINTS.

I think that this behaviour has been fixed in the CVS version.

But I miss the old "bug",  since, together with WindowMaker, it let me
do some neat organizazion/use  of my virtual desktops (workspaces) and
hide the "SOMETHING" frame withouth touching the other.

Is there some way  to set a frame as group leader  in X11 with the CVS
Emacs ?

Short answer: no.

Longer answer:
Actually Emacs does not set the group leader. It is done by the tool kits (Xt or GTK). The one set by the Xt WMShell still points to itself (which in fact is a bug), but GTK creates a leader window for this. If you compile Emacs without a tool kit (i.e. --with-x-toolkit=no) the group leader will not be set.

The fact that Windowmaker makes a distinction sounds strange, but a WM is free to do what it wants. I can't really deduce from your explanation what the difference is.

        Jan D.