Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:19:10 +0100

Kenichi Handa wrote:

In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:28:19 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
"Emacs Frame" tooltips seems to work really well in X11; why not just
make them work well in Windows too?

FWIW, I use Emacs on Windows XP and never saw any special slowness of
 the Emacs tooltips.

Might it be simply that Windows is very slow in window-creation (it is
reputedly much slower to create new OS processes than other OSes) and
the original poster has a very slow machine?

Isn't it better even in X11 to reuse a single tooltip frame
by mapping and unmapping instead of creating and destroying
it.

Just a small bit. In X11 a lot of windows are created (every button, menu, etc. are separate windows), and X11 is fast when it comes to window creation. And in any case, we would have to apply the frame parameters again (font, color and such) and that still takes some time. They could also be cached of course so we only re-apply what has been changed, but then I think it is more effort than it is worth.

        Jan D.