Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:07:24 +0000

David Kastrup wrote:
Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

Emacs uses frames for its tooltips on all platforms. To change this on
Windows would make it more difficult to maintain, and would lose
functionality.

Are you sure about that?  Under X11, tooltips come without any
decoration and without any impact on the focus (I have
focus-follows-mouse policy).  I never noticed _any_ problem with them.

Yes I'm sure, the Windows implementation was based on the X11 implementation. They are special frames in that they have the properties you observe, but they are still frames and you can use all of Emacs' non-input related display features in them.

If users of Emacs on Windows experience similar effects

They're not quite as bad as XEmacs' problems I think, there seems to be a bug in the code that makes sure the tooltip doesn't get focus which causes problems when there are multiple frames. Apart from that they appear a bit slow on slow machines due to being drawn by the normal Emacs redisplay instead of being simple fixed plaintext like in other programs.

At least the X11 tooltips on Emacs provide no functionality
whatsoever except popping up some text in a single font AFAICS.  No
face support, no clickable areas, nothing.

I'm sure I've seen face support used in tooltips. Maybe only text properties work, the face is probably forced to "tooltip".

So if there is a function for popping them up in the system, I can't see what we could lose by
using it.

I don't think there is a function for popping them up in the system. Many armchair critics are not aware of the distinction between Microsoft's proprietary C++ GUI toolkit (MFC) and what is available directly from the OS APIs, so we often get slated for not using feature X, when reimplementing it using the OS APIs is non-trivial.