Re: Help with partial line needed

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Help with partial line needed
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:34:56 +0100

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

> There is definitly some bug in fluxbox, it sends the most crazy
> configure notify events to Emacs when the tool bar is detached.  It
> usually sends three, two correct ones and one that is off by about 5
> pixels.  It is those missing 5 pixels that shrinks the window
> (i.e. Emacs rounds it to an even line).  There should only be one
> configure notify.
>
> Emacs is special in the way it handles (or rather the GTK version)
> detaching and attaching of the tool bar.  It tries to keep the same
> lines as before, thus the resizing and the configure notify events.

Hm.

> I see that other applications instead keeps the total pixel size, so
> then no configure notify is sent (the frame size is kept).  I can
> change to that behaviour, but since the tool bar height may not be a
> multiple of the line height (as it is in other Emacs ports), there
> will most probably be a partial line.  And that partial line is the
> minibuffer.  It would be better if that partial line was in a
> non-minibuffer.  Does anybody know how to achive that (I just call
> change_frame_size)?

More concretely: it would be perfect if the _whole_ area from the
toolbar was added to the window immediately below the toolbar, and if
at the same time vscrol was adjusted by that amount, so that detaching
and reattaching the toolbar would not cause any text to move on the
screen.  There may be exceptions:
a) if the buffer display is already at the beginning of the buffer
when the toolbar gets detached, the window contents will have to move
up.
b) if attaching the toolbar moves the cursor off-screen, recentering
will become necessary.

And of course, the toolbar can't be attached in that manner if the top
window does not have the space to accommodate it.

> There are another race condition involving configure notify and tool
> bar attach/detach, but they happen very seldom, and usually ends up
> growing the Emacs frame rather than shrink it.  The fluxbox
> behaviour is not changed by fixing that race condition.  I haven't
> checked in the fix for the race condition.  If there is a way to
> force the partial line to a non-minibuffer I think I'll go with that
> solution instead.

That sounds much better.

> Sorry I couldn't help.

Well, if the problem with fluxbox could be wrapped in a bug report and
sent to the maintainers, this _could_ help.  For me, the effect is not
overly tragic since I usually don't use the toolbar, let alone detach
it.  Detached, I'd consider it quite more useful if it would be
vertically arranged, but I have no clue about what GTK+ might offer in
that respect.