Re: 21.4 not tagged in CVS

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 21.4 not tagged in CVS
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:00:58 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> It appears that normal release procedures have been bypassed in
> releasing 21.4.
>
> CVS contains no tags for 21.4, but it appears to have been created
> from EMACS_21_3 except for movemail.c.
>
> This is unfortunate, as we almost released 21.4 a year ago to fix a
> build problem with recent versions of GCC on Windows, and a few other
> "annoying bugs" that are fixed on the EMACS_21_1_RC branch.
>
> The discussion is here:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-emacs-windows/2004-02/msg00028.html
>
> Instead, I think I tracked down an older copy of gcc to compile the
> release, and checked in the changes needed for recent versions of
> gcc in case there was a future release from the branch. I upgraded
> gcc again after that, and did not expect to need it again now that
> the bug is fixed in all current branches of CVS. I was not expecting
> an Ad-Hoc release to be made like this.

Nobody expected it.  It was a special situation that arose.  The way
Richard has described it, I don't think that we can at all rule out
that a similar situation might happen again.  The solution would seem
to have one branch where critical fixes are applied to regardless of
whether a release is anticipated.  I am not sure this would be
something that in general would warrant the effort.  This would have
to be estimated by those that are capable of actually rolling a
release.