Re: Recent enabling of xassert

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Recent enabling of xassert
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:18:33 +0000

Kim F. Storm wrote:

Miles recently enabled xassert unconditionally to catch undiscovered
bugs in redisplay and other places...

We have now seen several crashes caused by this change -- but none of
them has been fully diagnosed yet, as this is very hard without having
easy ways to reproduce the crashes.

Debugging those crashes requires time which I don't have -- so unless
someone else steps in to help, I suggest we disable xassert again.
I disagree. xassert should only be disabled for releases. We want to find the bugs now, even if it takes time to fix them. CVS should not be considered a stable release.