Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 03:11:05 -0500

     Set All          (F => C)
     Save All         (F => C,S)
     Get All
       Standard       (D => F)
       Saved          (S => F)
       Current        (C => F)

This is clean and symmetric, and I agree with the plan to replace
Erase Customizations with Get All Standard Values.  However, the
command Reset to Saved is a clean and useful command, and I think that
replacing it with Get All Saved Values would be a step backwards.

How to get the best of both worlds?  Perhaps like this:

     Set All          (F => C)
     Save All         (F => C,S)
     Get All
       Standard       (D => F,C)
       Saved          (S => F,C)
       Current        (C => F,C)

This means that the last two commands are equivalent to the two
existing Reset commands.  (C => F,C is equivalent to C => F, too.)
However, the Get All Standard Values command would be different from
the existing Erase Customizations command (which does D => F,C,S).

Another idea is this:

     Set All          (F => C)
     Save All         (F => C,S)
     Reset to Saved (S => F,C)