RE: Changed outside --> set, in Customize UI

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Changed outside --> set, in Customize UI
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:27:48 -0800

    Actually, I start thinking again that it _might_ be good to make _any_
    option set in .emacs "untouchable" through Custom, even atoms and even
    in as far as the current session is concerned.  That way we do not
    need to make any distinction between hooks (and similar list-vars) and
    other options, which probably will simplify implementation _a lot_,
    things will look less inconsistent to the user _and_ it will avoid
    problems if you later try to "Reset to Standard" (which would make no
    sense).  If you customized in .emacs outside Custom, it is better to
    be consistent and set it for the current session with set-variable.

    This was a misformulation.  I meant that the _part_ of the option
    set through .emacs (the elements of the hook or listvar added in
    .emacs) would be untouchable through Custom.  But, for an atom or
    for hooks or list-vars _setq-ed_ in .emacs, that part is everything.

You mean that if I do (setq foo 50) in my .emacs I cannot then experiment
using Customize to change `foo' to 100 to see if I like that better? I can
save things from Customize to .emacs but I cannot change things in Customize
that have been set in .emacs?

I think such a design would be _very_ unfortunate.