Re: search-whitespace-regexp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: search-whitespace-regexp
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:39:18 -0500

    However, I believe that
    using search-whitespace-regexp in isearch-forward-regexp is a misfeature.
    It should instead be used for isearch-forward.

For years, string search has treated characters literally while regexp
search has treated space as "any whitespace".  To reverse this would
be an incompatible change that would affect every user.

I think you're the first person ever to ask for this change.  I think
it would cause more trouble than benefit.

However, if a poll of users is done, and we find that most users would
prefer this change, I would consider it.