Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 20:54:54 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>

> However, it might be confusing to combine resetting edit fields with
> resetting current values. Since we have a Set button, why not confine
> the reset buttons to resetting only the edit field (F)? That is:
>
>     C => F   (Reset from Current)
>     S => F   (Reset from Saved)
>     D => F   (Reset from Standard)
>
> Using the combined Reset buttons would mean we have only Set, Save,
> and Reset.

As far as I can see this is essentially Miles suggestions (that means we
nearly agree already ;-) + combining Reset into one button. That might be a
good suggestion since it may look less complicated. There will also because
of the combination have to be a question (or menu) after this. This could be
worded so that it is more clear that Reset only resets the Field.

But still the "Erase" is missing (like in Miles suggestion). However can not
that naturally be a choice under Reset? There could then be some explanation
(and still a warning later). If we take this approach I think it can look
very nice:

  <Set All>  <Save All>  <Reset All ...>  <Close>

The three dots on Reset are supposed to indicates that there is some
question after clicking this button. This is a convention often used for
menus (but I do not know if it is used for buttons - though I would believe
it is easy to grasp if you know the menu convention). I think this still
meets Kim's concern that it should be close to common look and feel.

> Any reset action should display a feedback message saying 1) that
> (all) the _edit fields_ have been reset from <source> and 2) you can
> _set_ the current values to these fields with Set.

I think all these actions should give some feedback!