Re: gdb-ui / fring coredump question

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: gdb-ui / fring coredump question
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:00:40 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > No.  (window-fringes)  gives you   (8 8 nil)
>  > *unless* you specify a non-default font size.
>
> Yes. This looks right. I'm not sure why, in my case, the right fringe should
> be one pixel wider than the left one [ (10 11 nil) ].
>
> In this case, I think the documentation for fringe-mode should reflect
> this:
>
> doc> fringe-mode's value is nil
>
> doc> *Specify appearance of fringes on all frames.
> doc> This variable can be nil (the default) meaning the fringes should have
> doc> the default width (8 pixels),...

The default is a little more complex:

The width of left and right fringe together must equal the width of a whole
number of default column widths, but be at least 8 pixels each.

If your default frame font is 7 pixels wide, 2 x 7 is below the minimum 2 x 8,
so we have to take 3 x 7 pixels, giving 10 pixels for the left and 11 pixels
for the right fringe.