Re: Some xterm-256color face colors too bright?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some xterm-256color face colors too bright?
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 06:37:22 +0200

> From: stktrc <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:28:09 +0200
>
> The question is then, how to proceeed?  Assuming it is the sub-pixel
> rendering that causes this:
>
> - Turn off sub-pixel rendering to gain readability for some default
>   faces in Emacs?  Would be a shame to lose all the advantages it
>   brings.
>
> - Locally customize faces?  Doable, but what if sub-pixel rendering
>   users (= LCD display) are common, and will just increase in numbers?
>   Would be reasonable to accomodate them.
>
> - Do nothing, because it's just me.  Do a significant amount of other
>   Emacs users experience the readability problems?
>
> - Adjust Emacs defaults?  Is it possible without causing degradation
>   for other users?

I'd say it's something to customize locally, unless we hear similar
problems from many users.

Just to make sure it's not the color translation that causes this in
some way: if you start two Emacs sessions side by side, one windowed,
the other in xterm, and in each one say "M-x list-colors-display RET",
is there an xterm color that looks like RosyBrown, more than the color
mapped to it by default?