Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:51:14 -0600 (CST)

Drew Adams wrote:

   That's the first time I've seen reference to such a backward-compatibility
   concern - and I'm glad to see it.

Unfortunately in this case, it seems that one is going to pay a price
in backward incompatibility anyway.  I must say that I myself do not
fully understand how the proposed changes are supposed to work.  The
autoloads are not going to be executed in old Emacs versions, so the
old (obsolete)

'(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))

is apparently going to have to "re-replace" the current

 '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-core))

if somebody is to be able to use the same .emacs for 21.4 and earlier
versions.

There seems to be no way to make two incompatible Emacs versions
before 21.4 compatible.   defcustoms in third party packages may no
longer work with 21.4.

Sincerely,

Luc.