Re: Making a script to update and compile from CVS

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Making a script to update and compile from CVS
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:39:27 +0000 (UTC)

"Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> wrote

>    I saw someone made a try on EmacsWiki to automate the process of
>    copying and building Emacs from CVS.

Here is what I do:

;; Each day, as user `bob' in an instance of Emacs, I run this for CVS
;; updates:

    (progn
     (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
     (cvs-update "/usr/local/src/emacs/" t))

;; Next, I run the fast `make recompile' command.
;; The `make recompile' command recompiles all Lisp files which are
;; new; it does not create .elc files.  It only recompiles a file if
;; an .elc is already present.

     (progn
       (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
       (compile
        "time make -C lisp autoloads && cd lisp && \
         time make recompile \
             EMACS=/usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs && \
         cd /usr/local/src/emacs/ && \
         time make info html"))

;; (Once in a while I rebuild the DVI documentation by running
;; `make info html dvi'.)

;; Occasionally, I run the `bootfast' command which recompiles all the
;; Emacs Lisp files.  I have been warned that sometimes an old .elc
;; file will cause trouble, but that has not happened yet.  Also, this
;; command deletes many other files.  This command takes a long time.

     (progn
       (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
       (compile "date && time make bootfast"))

;; Finally, once in a great while, I configure and run `make bootstrap'
;; This takes a long time.

     (progn
       (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
       (compile
        "./configure --with-type1 \
         --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-pop \
         --prefix=/usr/local --with-sound=yes \
         && time make bootstrap"))

;; I have not had to update autoloads for months or maybe years, but
;; when I did, I used this command:

     (progn
       (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/")
       (compile "make autoloads EMACS=../src/emacs"))

;; For installation, I run the following in a root owned instance of Emacs:

  (progn (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/") (compile "time make install"))

;; To make tags, which I do occasionally:

  (progn (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/") (compile "time make TAGS"))

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8