Re: New primitive buffer-position-at

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New primitive buffer-position-at
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:08:16 +0200

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:16:06 +1300
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>  > Also, in what way is it different from (posn-point (posn-at-x-y X Y)) ?
>  >
>  >
>  >         Stefan "who's wondering what posn-at-x-y does on a tty"
>
> The posn-* family of commands (posn-point, posn-object etc) only work if Emacs
> provides the proper click event in the first place which it doesn't currently
> do on a text terminal or xterm.

??? Are you saying that posn-point would throw an error or otherwise
behave incorrectly if invoked on a tty without a mouse?  I tried that,
and it seemed to work fine for me.

I think whether a mouse is connected or not is not an issue, since a
click event object can be created manually even if there's no mouse.
And posn-at-x-y does precisely that, doesn't it?

> My patches to xt-mouse.el and t-mouse.el
> provide them in lisp i.e with these patches the posn-* family of commands will
> work on a text terminal or xterm.

I'm puzzled why did you need to patch xt-mouse.el, since these 2
functions seem to work for me on a tty, even a tty that lacks the
mouse.