Re: Bug 130397

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Bug 130397
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:29:21 +0900

> You are wrongly assuming that the buffer is maintained in UTF-8.  It
> isn't.  Byte indexing is not going to be fun with regard to
> efficiency, unless we get some interface that will, while writing out
> a file in UTF-8, store an array of byte/character correspondences for
> the UTF-8 (or whatever other) character conversion somewhere.

Er, does efficiency matter all that much when parsing output from
ispell -a?  After all, it's feeding the input line-by-line to ispell
(judging from man page), and you only have to actually deal with
offsets for lines with mispellings -- which are the minority, and
result in user interaction anyway, which will tend to hide any sort of
slight inefficiency.

If ispell wants utf-8, it's easy enough to convert each input line to
utf-8 and deal with offsets into that in the event of a mispelling;
even if emacs has to process the line character by character to do it,
it seems like it would be fast enough.  For the great bulk of the
buffer without any mispellings, you won't incur the inefficiency,
which is what really matters.

-Miles