Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:46:43 -0600 (CST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   Currently :set and :get are supposed to work buffer-locally if
   custom-local-buffer is non-nil.

Actually it is quite confusing.  The default :set function is
`custom-set-default' for `custom-theme-set-variables' (and for the
defcustom docstring) and `set-default' for all the rest of the Custom
machinery.  Is there some rationale behind that?  What is the intended
use?  For interactive use, `custom-local-buffer' seems to inconvenient
(even if it worked reliably, which it does not).

Anyway, any case where `custom-set-default' would be used seems
irrelevant to the discussion.  In the cases where it works, it does not
do anything different from what `set-variable' currently does.  What
we discussed was calling the :set function if there was a _non-default_
:set function.  Most of these were not designed to work buffer-locally.

The best way to make set-variable work buffer-locally depends on
whether and how we want to make Custom work buffer-locally.  If we do
not care about making Custom set buffer-local values, the best thing
would probably be :set-local and :get-local keywords, as Richard
suggested.  That _maybe_ could also be the case if we wanted to make
Custom work buffer-locally.

Making Custom work buffer locally is very tricky.  It does not seem
like something for before the next release.

The question is whether we still want to change something to
`set-variable' before the next release.

Sincerely,

Luc.