Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:54:29 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>

> Right. I already lamented the fact that the Customize GUI is so poor that
it
> calls forth the need for doc on how to understand and use it. It should
> instead be self-explanatory and understandable without any doc. No one
wants
> to read doc - especially just to figure out a user interface.

The normal procedure to develop a GUI would be to ask users what aspect of
the GUI they do not for some reason like. (Of course the educated guess of
the developers are very, very good to have.) I guess a problem here is that
many users do not use the custom GUI. Therefore I believe every piece of
information we get about how different persons react to this interface is
important.

I think we should notice that GUIs are used "by intuition". I guess that is
what you are trying to point out.

BTW I use to hate it when I had to read the docs to find out how to pass the
glitches in the user interface. I soon use to realize that it is normally
not very much more work needed to get the GUI useable when you have the
basic structure. You mostly have to observe what is happening. But sometimes
that is just difficult when you doing things "by intuition".

- Lennaret