Re: list-colors-display: display all color names

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: list-colors-display: display all color names
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:57:05 -0500

>> Also, users might want to find the color name corresponding to
>> the known RGB value.

> Is there any reasonably practical way to do that for an arbitrary RGB
> triplet?

A guess a function that returns the closest color-name would be good enough.
What that's good for, I don't know.

>> All I propose now is to add color hex values to the *Colors* buffer.
>> I think that placing them at the right window edge would not be
>> distracting.  For example:
>>
>> gray                    grey                                   bebebe
>> light gray              light grey, LightGray, LightGrey       d3d3d3

> First, if we do that, I'd suggest to use #BE12BE34BE56, i.e. prefix
> with # and use 4 digits per color.

I agree on the `#'.

But since few (if any) system really support more than 8bit per color, it
seems OK to use the #RRGGBB rather than the more verbose #RRRRGGGGBBBB.
After all, that's what people use in practice, in my experience.

> And second, what do you suggest to display on character terminals?

Why would it need to be any different?

        Stefan