RE: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:12:48 -0800

    > I suggested that each variable name itself serve as a toggle
    > - click it to
    > change display of the name locally (but not change the variable
    > `custom-unlispify-tag-names').

    A tooltip would be better.

How would a tooltip help? The idea is to toggle the display. Are you
suggesting a tooltip with instructions of how to customize
`custom-unlispify-tag-names'?

    But I think the UI is already overloaded.
    Given the target audience of customize, the UI should be kept much
    more minimal than it is.

It is certainly very *&address@hidden, but that is mainly a problem of:

1) poor choice of visuals: large, bold type for simple names, 3D buttons for
everything, whether it is really a link, a menu, or an action button.

2) some poorly chosen names and poorly positioned buttons and info.

Other UIs have even more overloading, in fact, in the sense of there being
some things you can click by discovery that provide extra info or minor
display changes - without the UI appearing overwhelming (busy, loud,
confusing, disorienting).

There is nothing wrong with having a relatively unimportant UI element be
active in some minor way (e.g. tooltip, display toggle). But important UI
elements should have their active functionalities be obvious (e.g. links,
menus, buttons should be easy to recognize).

    Setting custom-unlispify-tag-names to nil by default might be better,
    I don't remember why we ended up with the current value.

That would be a good start.