Re: list-colors-display: display all color names

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: list-colors-display: display all color names
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:46:19 +0000 (UTC)

Juri Linkov <juri <at> jurta.org> writes:

> It's too bad that `list-colors-display' currently doesn't contain
> all variants of color names with alternative spellings and spaces.
> When I put a color name into the search ring in one buffer and then
> isearch it with C-s C-s in the *Colors* buffer to see how the color
> looks, often the search fails.  I need to edit the search string
> to add spaces or change the spelling of color names and to try again.
> This is very inconvenient.  The *Colors* buffer should contain all
> color names, even duplicates with the same color values.

> This eliminates the need to identify duplicate colors by the name.

I like this idea except for this last bit.

We changed `list-colors-display' to match by name rather than color value so
that if "System" colors were added to the list they wouldn't be merged
together.  The examples in the original post are all aliases for the same
color.  They can be used interchangably on any platform with reasonable results.

The System colors are designed to make window manager theme colors available
within Emacs so that faces can follow the corresponding colors in the rest of
the GUI.  If the colors "SystemMenuText" and "SystemText" happen to be mapped
to the same color it does not mean that they are aliases for the same color.
Under a different window manager theme they might be different colors.  In this
case these color names are not interchangable and should not be presented as if
they were alaises.

The comment removed from the code was supposed to explain this clearly.
Obviously it did not.

Does matching on the name rather than the color value result in a different
output with your other changes?  Should we match on color value unless the name
starts with the string "System"?

--
Michael Mauger