Re: undo in loaddefs.el buffer

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: undo in loaddefs.el buffer
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:21:59 +0100

Luc Teirlinck wrote:

This way of popping down the dialog has been replaced by popping down by pressing ESC, which is more in line with what other applications and toolkits use.

"Popping down" means returning nil, which for y-or-n-p and yes-or-no-p
means answering "No".  Anybody who uses the escape key as a Meta key
can easily answer "No" without wanting to do that.  This is especially
bad for yes-or-no-p which, according to the Elisp manual is meant for
"crucial decisions".  Intuitively, one would expect "popping down" to
mean quitting, not answering "No".  This peculiar behavior is not
documented in the docstrings of y-or-n-p and yes-or-no-p.  I could not
find any reference to it in the Elisp manual.

Apparently, some users expect C-g to _really_ quit from a dialog box,
like it quits in the minibuffer.  Instead, it is treated like any
other key.

To have ESC or Ctrl-g (basically any close without using dialog buttons, for example clicking on a window manager close button in the title) do a real quit for a dialog box sounds like a very good idea. I think it is easy to do, because for lucid and lesstif/motif you can already quit dialogs with Ctrl-g (i.e. a real quit), but only if the focus is on the frame, not the dialog. We should make this consistent.

For the original case (quitting out of the undo question), that would be an improvement as you could continue to hit Ctrl-g until all questions are gone :-). It is a strange case. I have to hit Ctrl-g three times for the yes-or-no question in the minibuffer to be canceled, but then a yes-or-no dialog pops up. It is the same behaviour regardless of toolkit.

    Jan D.