Re: emacs hangs when loading image

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs hangs when loading image
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:09:41 -0500

    With gdb I found out that Emacs loops in the while loop in xdisp.c:
    back_to_previous_visible_line_start. It seems that the code searches for
    a completely visible line, but there is no such line because the image
    is larger than the window.

I don't see anything in that function that tries to test the height of
a line.  However, I did see this

          if (handle_display_prop (&it2) == HANDLED_RETURN)
            visible_p = 0;

which treats text containing certain kinds of `display' properties as
if it were invisible.  This seems to include images.

I am not sure why it does that.  It doesn't seem logical.
We could try deleting those two lines.  I don't know what
it would break.

Could you try deleting them and see if it fixes things?