Re: undo in loaddefs.el buffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: undo in loaddefs.el buffer
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 04:32:28 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> Richard Stallman wrote (in response to Juri Linkov):
>    C-g normally should quit out of this question.  Why not in this case?
>    This too may be fixable, but only with more precise information.
>
> This might be toolkit dependent.  (At least for popup menus).  If the
> answer gets asked in the minibuffer, quitting works normally (at least
> for me).
>
> Obvious question to Juri:  Which toolkit do you use?

None.  At least, configure says so:

  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none

It seems in this case Emacs uses code from oldXMenu.

I don't use popup menus, so this behavior was really unexpected for me,
and especially annoying was that a X popup menu displayed from undo question
crashed Emacs (before Jan fixed those crashes).

> Everything below concerns the behavior with the default Lucid toolkit.
>
> Strange things happen with popup menus, at least using the default
> Lucid toolkit.
>
> Do `emacs -q', M-x ielm then:
>
> (let (last-nonmenu-event) (yes-or-no-p "prompt"))

This code displays a X popup menu when no toolkit is used.
And it doesn't react to key presses.

> If we repeat the experiment in 21.3, we see that the bug is not
> present there.  However, there is another bug.  If we click the mouse
> anywhere inside the Emacs frame, but outside the "Yes" button, nil is
> returned.  This is also a bug, which does _not_ occur in current CVS.
> This seems to be a case of introducing one bug by fixing another.

nil is returned in current CVS with no toolkit.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/