Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:16:25 -0500

>> Actually I just saw it in action in a buffer that was outline-minor-mode'd
>> (an elisp buffer where every function is folded on a single line) and the
>> grey background face on the "..." looks really ugly.
>>
>> I don't mind it on ^L and \201 kind of things (which aren't pretty anyway
>> and do deserve some kind of warning), but I think that on the ellipsis
>> glyph, it's a sin.
>>
> The ellipsis glyph, magically hiding a lot of text, is something very
> different from 3 points that may happen to be at the end of the line...

I never claimed otherwise.

> To keep them apart at first sight, some markup is very welcome! I've been
> happy with this colour for ages, but anybody is welcome to propose a more
> suitable face — or several if you want to go so far.

I'm not opposed to having a feature to make the ellipsis a bit more
different from three dots for those users who like it, but in my experience
ellipsis only happens in circumstances where the user has specifically asked
for it (she turned on outline-minor-mode or some such optional feature), so
it very rarely causes confusion.
So I think it's better to keep the default ellipsis non-highlighted.

Also, the NEWS file should be updated to describe this new highlighting on
..., ^X, and \NNN, as well as explain how to change it.

        Stefan