Re: Faces for Mode Line and Mode Line Inactive

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Faces for Mode Line and Mode Line Inactive
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:43:30 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>

> > From: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 01:06:38 +0100
> >
> > I get a bit frustrated when I look at the face customization pages for
Mode
> > Line and Mode Line Inactive. Mode Line Inactive inherits from Mode Line
and
> > it sets no attributes on its own as far as I can see. Still it looks
> > different (lighter on my display).
>
> ??? Look at faces.el, around line 1780, where these two faces are
> defined: mode-line-inactive inherits from mode-line only for terminals
> that don't support colors and/or :style attributes.  Otherwise,
> mode-line defines different colors and a released-button style.
>
> Am I missing something?

I don't know if you are missing or I am misunderstanding. I was looking at
the customization page for Mode Line Inactive face. There are no attributes
checked except for Inherit and it inherits from Mode Line on this page. So
to me it looks like the faces should be the same. (But as you wrote the
deffaces in faces.el are different.)

- Lennart