Central European/Cyrillic display support for Carbon Emacs

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Central European/Cyrillic display support for Carbon Emacs
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:11:17 +0900

Recently, display support of Central European and Cyrillic characters
for Carbon Emacs (without ETL fonts) is added to CVS.  These
characters are supposed to be displayed by one of the followings.

  1. Using a predefined fontset "fontset-mac".
     (set-frame-font "fontset-mac")

  2. Creating a fontset from a Mac Roman font.
     (set-frame-font
      (create-fontset-from-mac-roman-font
       "-apple-lucida sans
typewriter-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-m-120-mac-roman")

  3. Extending an existing fontset.
     (set-frame-font
       (fontset-add-mac-fonts "SOME-EXISTING-FONTSET"))

You can test it with `C-h h' or `M-x list-charset-chars RET
cyrillic-iso8859-5 RET'.

Steven Tamm and I have exchanged emails about this feature, but these
characters are not displayed in his environment.  We could not figure
out what's the difference, so I would like to ask Carbon Emacs users
to test whether this feature works or not.  Please use -Q option
(e.g., `/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q' from
Terminal.app) when invoking, and include the OS version together with
the primary language you chose when installing Mac OS X.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden