Re: Old versions of GNU Emacs

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: Old versions of GNU Emacs
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:12:30 -0500

>> > How do I get access to the repository?  Is there read-only access
>> > anonymously?  [presumably there's a web site?]
>>
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

> This worked but there are no tags for anything before 19.34.

Indeed.  But you can recover them (with a bit of fuzz, tho) by looking at
the ChangeLog files (they contain entries like "Version 19.30 released"
which give you approximate date and by comparing the entries around that one
to the CVS/RCS commit logs of the files, you can get a pretty close
approximation.  Note that the 19.34 tag I added is such an approximation).

Such an approximation is enough for my uses which are usually something like
"what was the old behavior" or "was this feature already available in
Emacs-19".
If you want to reconstruct tarballs that you want to be able to
untar+build, it might not be sufficient, tho.

        Stefan