Re: emacs-pretest-bug (Was: [bug] line move and truncation)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-pretest-bug (Was: [bug] line move and truncation)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:06:10 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:18:36 +0200
>
> > BTW, who is monitoring emacs-pretest-bug?
>
> This is a serious problem.  It seems many Emacs developers are not
> subscribed to emacs-pretest-bug.  That might explain why some bugs
> remain unfixed.

And what prevents you from subscribing to emacs-pretest-bug?  It's a
public list, AFAIK.

> So really emacs-pretest-bug looks like a part of emacs-devel
> "hidden" from many Emacs developers.  This hampers the development.
> A good solution is to declare emacs-pretest-bug obsolete and to
> change the value of `report-emacs-bug-pretest-address' to
> "address@hidden".

No.  emacs-devel is for _discussions_about_ Emacs development, while
emacs-pretest-bug is for reporting bugs and related discussions, and
only for that.  Therefore, people who read emacs-pretest-bug should be
those who are interested in working on fixing bugs, not simply have
some interest in Emacs development.

The fact that some people report bugs on emacs-devel IMHO means
nothing except that those people wrote to the wrong address.  But
since all those who subscribe to emacs-pretest-bug also read
emacs-devel, we don't usually tell such people to take the thread to
emacs-pretest-bug.