Re: Unknown option `--no-desktop'

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Unknown option `--no-desktop'
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:55:45 +0000 (UTC)

   >     emacs -Q --no-desktop
   >
   > does not recognize the initial option  --no-desktop

   I think this is what is to be expected.  emacs -Q does not load any
   startup files so there is nothing that loads desktop.el so emacs
   really does not know the option --no-desktop.

That makes sense, but the documentation does not help.  It should
point this out.

In any event, the option also fails when starting Emacs with a .emacs
file that loads or saves a desktop.  (I was trying to create a test
version of Emacs that used most of my regular .emacs file, but did not
load or save its desktop.)

There are two issues and --no-desktop fails both:

  1. It does not match its documentation by not automatically reloading a
     saved desktop.  The documentation says   (emacs)Initial Options

             Do not reload any saved desktop.

  2. It does not turn off a turned-on Save Desktop.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8