Re: a suggested solution for better external' completion in certain emac

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: a suggested solution for better external' completion in certain emacs modes
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:59:53 -0500

    Yes. It would be a completely new way for Emacs to communicate with
    Readline programs. But it would still be implemented in comint so that
    comint could pick when to use the new method and when to use ordinary
    pty communication.

How would comint know when the process reading input is a
readline-using program?  Suppose I am talking to bash, which uses
readline.  Then I run ftp, which does not use readline.
If comint tries to keep using this new command protocol,
ftp would get totally confused.

There may be a way to resolve this problem.
However, what we want to do here now is make progress towards
a release, not discuss ideas for new features.  So I suggest
that those interested in trying to implement this sort of thing
should contact you, and you can discuss the idea outside this list
and see if you can make it work.