Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:20:58 +0200

> Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:03:00 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Do you have any evidence that it are the changes to easymenu.el that
> caused your problem?

Yes: easymenu.el was one of a very few files updated by "cvs up" that was
immediately followed by

   ./configure
   make bootstrap

The bootstrap attempt before "cvs up" failed while compiling
printing.el, so the new one should have simply continued from that
spot.

The files updated by "cvs up" were: align.el, tempo.el, outline.el,
macros.el, and easymenu.el.  None of the changes to those files seem
to be candidates for causing the trouble I reported, but perhaps I
miss something.

Note that the command that failed after "cvs up" was this:

    ../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload --eval
'(setq generated-autoload-file
"/home/e/eliz/emacs.cvs/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloads
$wins

i.e., it failed while generating loaddefs.el.

> Changes in byte compilation often require
> recompilation.  There was a non-trivial change to bytecomp.el five
> days ago.  Some of the changes apparently affected cl.

I'm looking for some change that would explain the effect on cl.
Until now, I didn't find it.

Also note that similar failure was reported in this thread:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-09/msg00317.html