Re: Optimizations for flymake

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Optimizations for flymake
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:34:38 +0100

Pavel Kobiakov <address@hidden> writes:

> --- David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>> (make-hash-table))

>> > Right, that's better.
>>
>> makehash is a compiled Lisp function in `subr'.
>> (makehash &optional TEST)
>>
>> This function is obsolete since 21.4;
>> use `make-hash-table' instead.
>>
>> Not documented.
>>
>> [back]
>>
>> In short, just rip out the test and always use
>> make-hash-table.
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
>>

> Getting rid of makehash won't allow Flymake to run on
> older versions of Emacs, so I think it's not a good
> idea.

;;; flymake.el -- a universal on-the-fly syntax checker

;; Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation

;; Author:  Pavel Kobiakov <address@hidden>
;; Maintainer: Pavel Kobiakov <address@hidden>
;; Version: 0.3

;; This file is part of GNU Emacs.

I think that in the file distributed as part of GNU Emacs,
compatibility to versions of old GNU Emacs versions should not really
be too high priority.  Of course, it is your decision as maintainer.
I just want to note that Emacs 21.3 is the currently released version
of Emacs, and even that has

make-hash-table is a built-in function.
(make-hash-table &rest KEYWORD-ARGS)

Create and return a new hash table.
Arguments are specified as keyword/argument pairs.  The following
arguments are defined:

:test TEST -- TEST must be a symbol that specifies how to compare keys.
Default is `eql'.  Predefined are the tests `eq', `eql', and `equal'.
User-supplied test and hash functions can be specified via
`define-hash-table-test'.

[...]

I mean, just _what_ are you trying to be compatible with?  You are
using `when' and `unless' which can't be used in Emacs-20.7 anyway
without loading cl-macs or something.