Re: autoload failure

From: Guy Gascoigne - Piggford
Subject: Re: autoload failure
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:44:14 -0700

I was getting that when I ran emacs from the build directory rather than after running make install and then running that version.

Guy

Tak Ota wrote:

When calling a function `grep' first time autoload fails by saying
"Autoloading failed to define function grep".

describe-function says `grep' is a function in `compile' instead of
`grep'.  (indirect-function 'grep) returns (autoload "compile" 828127
t nil)

Manually performing (load-library "grep") fixes.

Why does emacs think grep belongs to compile?

-Tak