Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:05:33 -0400

    I agree, if you mean that we shouldn't change _Gnus related_ files, in
    Emacs, to use password.el.  Those changes could go into Gnus CVS.  I
    think it may be useful to change some other Emacs packages, like
    telnet.el, though.

If we make read-passwd use password.el, then the other parts of
Emacs will use it without being individually changed.

If everything else in Emacs uses password.el, we should probably
change Gnus in Emacs to use password.el too.  Why should it be
the only thing left out?

This isn't the time for new features, and perhaps is not the right
time for this (though installing this file is not quite a new
feature).  However, now that the file is installed, we may as well
make read-passwd use it.