Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:18:46 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> (while left-clicking only moves point)
>> In tex-fold.el left-clicking currently will reveal the folded text.
>
> So it's not the same problem as with preview-latex.  The problem with
> preview-latex is that the mouse-1 click seems to be the only easy way to
> place the cursor on the image without "unfolding" it.
>
> tex-fold.el is more traditional in this respect and Kims' patch is
> just annoying (you have to use the keyboard to move point into the
> area), whereas for preview-latex using the keyboard is not really an
> option it seems.

preview-latex is a bit difficile: you can use the keyboard for moving
onto the preview itself, _except_ for cursor left/right: that will
trigger the autoreveal.  Similarly, using isearch will trigger it.
Basically there are movements where the guessed intent would be
"uncover", and others where it isn't.  The proposal of Kim (click
to the side, then move to it) falls in the "isn't" category usually.
When marking formulas and stuff, you usually will tend to use vertical
motion commands if you are just using the keyboard, and those won't
uncover things.

It is, of course, an illogical interface to start with, but it happens
to be convenient for normal usage patterns.  And I don't like the
"don't click on it if you just want to position the cursor" idea.

If the time stamps for the clicks indeed come from the X server, then
Kim's timed scheme would probably not be very susceptible to system
load/traffic congestion effects.  After all, we have the same problem
with recognizing double-clicks.