Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:04:26 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, all, for including me in the discussion about misuses of
interactive-p.  I'm the developer of allout, and haven't had time yet to
examine the specifics.  I hope to do so this week, but have one
preliminary comment.

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Many calls to interactive-p appear in functions that are not commands.
> The only way interactive-p can return non-nil is when these functions
> are called from commands run from macros.  It doesn't seem right for
> allout commands to move the cursor differently when they are run from
> macros.  So I am pretty sure these are bugs.

This use *may* be deliberate.  Allout has a special "hot-spot" operation
mode, where the behavior of the movement functions varies depending on
whether or not you started from on top of a bullet glyph.  The thing is
that this behavioral nuance should not happen when being called
non-interactively.  It *may* be that the interactive-p conditioning is for
that purpose.

> I think this is the right way to fix these bugs, but I don't use
> allout.el.  Could someone who uses it please check this?

As i said though, the above is an entirely preliminary thought.  I'm
hoping to get time this evening or tomorrow to investigate, and try out
the proposed changes to see if this is disrupted.  I'll report back when i
know more, one way or another.

Ken Manheimer
address@hidden (please shift to address@hidden or address@hidden)