Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:50:55 -0400

[...]
>> So it's the image (which is placed on a before-string)
> No insinuations, please.

I could only "insinuate" since you did not reply to my original question "Is
mouse-face applied to the actual text or just to the (before|after)-string?"

> The image is placed in the display property of the text (actually, the
> display property of an overlay, and this overlay has the mouse-face).

Thanks.

> It does not actually matter since I merely cited preview-latex as one
> case that would appear not to fit the assumptions behind Kim's patch.

I quite understand this part.
It's clear that Kim's patch can introduce undesired behavior.
The question is how often such undesired behavior happens in practice.

I suspect that the number of packages where moving point into a piece of
text with the `mouse-face' property does anything more than move point
(while left-clicking only moves point) is extremely small.  `preview-latex'
is very much unusual in this respect.

So I think the migration path should be to apply Kim's patch and provide
a way for a package maintainer to override it in those rare cases where
it interferes (e.g. it could check some text property
"dont-remap-mouse-1-to-mouse-2").

        Stefan