Re: Problem with Gnus

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Problem with Gnus
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:04:59 +0200

On Fri, Oct 22 2004, Kevin Greiner wrote:

> Jason Rumney wrote:
[...]
>>> In order to minimize the inconvenience, I think it's best if I "cvs
>>> add legacy-gnus-agent.el" in Emacs soon (instead of fixing it in
>>> Gnus/v5-10 and waiting for the semi-automatic syncing).  I have to
>>> leave now, but I can do it in a couple of hours unless someone has a
>>> better suggestion.
>> Is that really a sensible thing to do?

(The file `legacy-gnus-agent.el' has been added via Miles' arch-sync
before your message, because Kevin has committed it in the v5-10
branch of Gnus.)

>> Now people will have their gnus files upgraded to No Gnus 0.2 even
>> though they are using 5.11. Will this cause problems? Is there a
>> way to undo this if it does?

There might be a problem if someone would move from Gnus 5.11 (Emacs
CVS) to an early version of No Gnus.

>> I'd prefer to hear from Kevin about what he really intended before
>> we do anything that might mess things up even more.
[...]
> Hopefully, yesterday's check-in has resolved all of this.

Gnus works for me, but I don't use the agent.

> The upgrade functions have been re-assigned to v5.11 since that is
> where they are needed.

Hm, as the new agent code is in the v5-10 branch too and we intend to
release 5.10.7 from this branch some day, shouldn't the upgrade
functions be assigned to 5.10.7 *and* we should bump the version in
the v5-10 branch to 5.10.7 [1] now?  Else people using the v5-10
branch outside of CVS-Emacs won't get the proper upgrade functions
(though I doubt that many people use this branch).

Lars, WDYT?

Bye, Reiner.

[1] IIRC, usually the version number is increased (in CVS) from 5.10.x
    to 5.10.x+1 after the release of 5.10.x.  After 5.10.6 this didn't
    happen because it jumped to "No Gnus v0.1".
--
       ,,,
      (o o)