Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:08:17 +0200

> So all
> calls to interactive-p to decide whether to call `message' should be
> judged based on whether we want to put the message into *Messages*.

Right!  So we should fix the doc string for message to state that
messages are not shown when executing a macro.

> Anything but a progress message should go into *Messages*.

In principle yes, in practice I'm not sure..

If I use such a command in a macro and I do M-1000 C-x e, I get
1000 similar messages in *Messages* -- or actually just the last
message-log-max (50) copies. ... for what purpose ?