address@hidden: Re: mouse cannot be used in *grep* buffer if font-lock i

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: Re: mouse cannot be used in *grep* buffer if font-lock is turned off]
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:13:19 -0400

Can you arrange to make compile mode's propertization
that is necessary for RET and Mouse-1 to work properly
operate independently of whether Font Lock mode is enabled?

One idea would be to use the mechanisms of font-lock mode, but not
fontify.  The idea is that some special hack would make font-lock
operate pretty much normally even though font-lock-mode is nil, but it
would not put on any `face' properties.  This could be a feature for
modes that "need" font-lock in order to "work right".

I think this could be done fairly easily.